In honor of my oldest son being left handed, I invite you to drink left handed on THIS, Int'l Left-handedness Day. It's also Friday the 13th, so no tool use, please, southpaws. (Lefties have more accidents, statistically, as 99.5% of tools are designed by and for those damned right handers, but you probably already knew that.) That said, here are some lefty facts:
[link]1. Left Hander's Day was started in August 13 1976 by Left handers International.
2. About 7 percent of the population is left handed.
3. Lefties are also called "southpaws".
4. In twins, there is a high tendency for one to be left-handed.
5. 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
6. 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed.
7. Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers.
8. George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama are all left handed. Ronald Regan was left handed too.
9. Pablo Picasso, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Di Vinci, and Michelangelo were also left handed.
10. Right handed people tend to use the left side of their brains more. Left handed people tend to use the rights.
11. Left handers tend to adjust quickly to seeing underwater.
12. Right handers tend to chew food on the right side, left handers tend to chew on the left side.
13. Albert Einstein was left handed. He also had three testicles.
14. Left handed people who have higher I.Q.s tend to have an I.Q. of over 140.
15. In some cultures it is impolite to touch your food with your left hand (because they wipe with it).
Ok, I'll add one:
16. Lefties are always telling you that they're Lefties and forming international clubs at the left-handed drop of a hat.
Finally, for that one poor schmoe whose brain still works and wants to know why this Friday the 13th is, "sinister"... the Latin, "sinestre" means, "left handed." Yes, but can the steam engine do this: